How to freehand the Astral Knights chapter badge.

I freehanded my chapter badge by breaking it down into simple shapes, an idea unashamedly stolen from the warp.  The image below demonstrates the process I used. 
Starting with a vertical and horizontal line centred where I wanted the symbol, I then added the diagonal lines but made them shorter than the first two.  Next I put in the two cross bars, one to make the guard on the sword and the other as a guide for the blade, after those I  filled in the blade using the lines as guides to get it symmetrical.  With the sword done I used the remaining lines to do the star points, notice that I join them to the sword.  Finally I put the break between the sword and the star in using the original background colour.
There you have it, a complex chapter badge in 5 easy(ish) steps.  Having done all that I may have found an alternative solution, I'll see how that goes and report back!

2 comments:

  1. That's perfect! A great example of breaking a complex symbol down into shapes and building it from there.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Ron.
    As it says I stole the idea from you. I wouldn't have had a clue where to start without your excellent tutorials. So thanks again.

    ReplyDelete